Monday, October 10, 2011

Tia

Aunt: the sister of one's mother or father. http://i.word.com/idictionary/aunt
An aunt is a person who is the sister or sister-in-law of a parent. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aunt

I have been thinking about the meaning of the word aunt, what it means to be an aunt. One I feel that I am too young to be an aunt, and how different of a feeling is to be an aunt at a distance as opposed to how I was raised with my aunts so nearby. I get to spoil my niece with sweets, clothing, books and toys while I get to spend time with Darren's nephews. Sometimes it's hard, to be so far away from Tegan, I long to hear her babbling, trying to teach her the word tia, as I am sure my name will take awhile longer. I long to connect with my niece the way that I had with my aunts growing up. Even almost two years later it is still hard to swallow the word tia or aunt and I hope to fulfill the role, responsibility and have a great relationship throughout their lives. It's hard when they grow so fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment